Maple Syrup-Bourbon Glazed Fresh Ham
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 3/4 pounds fresh ham, boned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat
to low, and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in ginger and allspice; let cool slightly.
- Unroll ham, and trim fat. Spread 1/3 cup syrup mixture and garlic over inside
surface of ham, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Re-roll ham, and secure at 2-inch intervals with heavy string. Spread 3
tablespoons syrup mixture over ham, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Place ham on a broiler pan, and insert meat thermometer into thickest portion
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours or until thermometer registers 160 degrees
F, basting with remaining syrup mixture after 1 hour.
- Place ham on a serving platter; cover with aluminum foil, and let stand
15 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 15 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)
Because fresh ham is an uncured leg of pork, it will be grayish instead
of pink-colored. The bone is tricky to remove, so ask your butcher to do it for
Source: Cooking Light