Smoky Ham with Strawberry-Chipotle Sauce
Make your favorite corn pudding recipe and steamed asparagus with butter and
lemon to serve with this ham.
- 6 to 8 pound fully-cooked bone-in ham
- 1/3 cup agave nectar, preferably dark, or honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise (about 6 cups)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from chiles), or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried, minced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Position the rack in the lower third of the
- Line the bottom of a shallow roasting pan bottom with aluminum foil.
- Score a diamond pattern into the ham, about 1/3 inch deep. Place the ham,
flat side down, in the pan. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 140
degrees F, on a meat thermometer, 15 to 18 minutes per pound.
- Remove from oven and increase the heat to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the agave and smoked paprika. Brush over the ham (not
on the flat side), return to the oven, and bake until glazed, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board, and let rest 10 minutes.
- For Strawberry-Chipotle Sauce: In a large nonreactive saucepan, mix strawberries
and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until strawberries
give off their juices, about 3 minutes. Using a potato masher or a large slotted
spoon, crush strawberries in the saucepan to make a chunky sauce. Stir in chipotle,
adobo sauce, and lemon juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly
thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sage. Transfer to a medium bowl placed in a larger bowl of iced
water. Let sauce stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled.
- In a blender, pulse the sauce until coarsely pureed. Cover and refrigerate
until ready to serve. (The sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead.)
- Slice ham and serve with sauce.
15 - 20 (4-ounce) servings
Nutritional Information: Calories: 260 calories Protein: 39 grams Fat: 5
grams Sodium: 1370 milligrams Cholesterol: 100 milligrams Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams Fiber: 1 grams
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.