Sweet Southern Slow Cooker Ham
The cooking liquid consists of apple cider, brown sugar, Kentucky bourbon, honey
and Dijon-style mustard, with a scattering of thyme sprigs.
- 1 bone-in fully-cooked ham, about 5 1/2 pounds
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup
dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Kentucky Bourbon *
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Place the ham in a large slow cooker. Whisk the cider with the brown sugar,
bourbon, honey and mustard. Slowly pour over the ham. Scatter the thyme sprigs
into the slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours, or until very tender.
- Remove ham to rest on a cutting board.
- Pass the remaining cooking liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan.
Simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Cut the ham into chunks or slices. Brush the cut pieces with the cooking
liquid before arranging on a platter.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Yield: 12 servings
* For a non-alcoholic alternative: replace the bourbon with 1/4 cup water and
1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
Nutritional information: Calories: 180 calories Protein: 31 grams Fat: 4
grams Sodium: 990 milligrams Cholesterol: 80 milligrams Saturated Fat: 1 grams Carbohydrates:
3 grams Fiber: 0 grams
Reprinted with permission from
the National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com.