African Lamb Curry
This is an unusual, flavorful buffet dish — very elegant with a rice ring. Serve
with chutney, chopped hardboiled eggs and coconut.
- 2 pounds lean lamb, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 ounces dried apples, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon freshly-grated lemon rind
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins, plumped in Madeira wine to cover
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Brown meat in butter in a skillet; sprinkle with flour, thyme, ginger and
curry. Stir well and add onion, garlic and apples. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the stock; cook and stir until slightly thickened
- Add lemon rind, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding more
stock if needed, until meat is tender.
- Stir in walnuts, raisins, soaking liquid and coconut. Simmer for 30 minutes
to heat thoroughly.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Lamb Recipes