African Lamb Curry
This is an unusual, flavorful buffet dish — very elegant with a rice ring. Serve
with chutney, chopped hardboiled eggs and coconut.
- 2 pounds lean lamb, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 5 ounces dried apples, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon freshly-grated lemon rind
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup seedless
raisins, plumped in Madeira wine to cover
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Brown meat in butter in a skillet; sprinkle with flour, thyme, ginger and
curry. Stir well and add onion, garlic and apples. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the stock; cook and stir until slightly thickened
- Add lemon rind, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding more
stock if needed, until meat is tender.
- Stir in walnuts, raisins, soaking liquid and coconut. Simmer for 30 minutes
to heat thoroughly.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.