Cherry and Lamb Tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless lamb
shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes,
peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or 5-quart heavy pot over moderately
- Add the onion and lamb, and brown the lamb.
- Stir in the garlic, sweet potatoes, red pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander,
cinnamon, salt and black pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cherries and continue simmering until the lamb and
sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle the tagine with cilantro and serve with couscous.
Recipe courtesy of Powered by Red Contest Winner (Student) - Paige Adams, Kendall College
– Chicago, Ilinois.
Reprinted with permission from the Cherry Marketing Institute.