Lamb and Couscous in Phyllo Ramekins
Your family and guests will be delighted when you serve this lamb dish for your
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean lamb
- 1/2 cup red or green bell peppers, finely diced
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 20 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9 x14-inches), thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add lamb, bell
peppers and scallions to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until lamb
is browned and bell peppers are tender.
- Remove from heat. Place the mixture in a colander and drain well. Let mixture
cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, add chicken broth, 1 tablespoon oil, red pepper flakes
and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, and then add couscous.
- Remove from heat, cover the pot and let couscous stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with fork and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous with lamb mixture. Add parsley, salt and
pepper to taste.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons olive
oil over medium heat. Layer 5 fillo sheets, lightly brushing each sheet with
the butter-oil mixture. Cut two 7-inch circles from the fillo. Place each circle
into a 5-inch by 1 1/2- inch deep individual ramekins pressing fillo against
bottom and sides. Repeat once to make 4 ramekins.
- Divide lamb mixture into 4 equal parts and fill fillo. Slightly fold in
fillo over the filing. Do not completely enclose filling.
- Bake ramekins in preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until
- Serve warm on a serving plate and garnish with parsley.
Prep Time: 50 Min | Cook Time: 1 Hr | Yield: 4 individual ramekins
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.