African-Style Vegetarian Stew
- 4 small kohlrabies, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and
cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced thick
- 5 fresh
tomatoes or 16 ounces canned
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, liquid included
- 1/2 cup couscous, or bulgur wheat
- 1/4 cup raisins, dark or golden
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower
the heat, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serve the couscous separately, if desired.
Parsnips may be substituted for the kohlrabi.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 2/18/2002 11:00 am.