This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Baked Eggplant Steaks with Garlic
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 round slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup George Washington stock
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 8 sprigs parsley, chervil, marjoram or oregano
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer in a glass baking dish that's
been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil and paprika; brush mixture evenly over the
tops of the slices. Pour stock into bottom of baking dish, taking care not to
disturb the paprika mixture. Bake 15 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves to the bottom of the baking dish and continue to bake
for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and golden red in color.
- To serve, slip off the skins of the garlic cloves and smash each clove with
the flat part of a knife. (The garlic will be a smooth, sweet and nutty paste.)
Place a smashed garlic clove on each slice of eggplant, along with an herb sprig.
Serves 4 as an entree or 8 as an appetizer.