Bean Patties with Tomato Relish
A vegetarian alternative to sausage patties for breakfast.
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell
pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon
finely chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or
red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, or more to taste
- Salt and
freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- Bean Patties: Mash the beans with a fork, and mix in the vegetables, cornmeal,
- Form into 4 to 6 patties.
- Fry in a lightly oiled skillet over
moderate heat until lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve with tomato relish.
- Tomato Relish: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings; about 1 cup relish