Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
- 3 cups dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup julienned green bell pepper
- 1 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 cup julienned onion
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups tomato sauce*
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup guacamole
- * PrepareTomato Sauce. Melt 2 tablespoons margarine over medium high
heat. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped onion and 3/4 minced garlic; cook until onion
is tender. Stir in 4 cups diced canned tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil,
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, 2 bay leaves, and a pinch of sugar. Reduce
heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves.
- Cover beans with cold water; let stand overnight. Drain; place beans in
medium saucepan. Cover with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat
to low. Season with salt. Simmer 45 minutes or until cooked through; drain.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet; add garlic, cook until softened. Add green peppers,
red peppers, onions, and carrots. Cook until tender. Stir in fajita seasoning,
cilantro, cumin and lemon juice; mix well. Divide cooked beans in half. Mash
one half; add to vegetables. Add to remaining beans, green onions and 1/2 cup
Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Divide filling onto tortillas.
Fold 2 sides toward filling; roll up.
- Combine tomato sauce, salsa and oregano; pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle
with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
Yield: 6 servings | 4 cups tomato sauce
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meatless Recipes