Black-Eyed Pea and Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped turnips
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 can (28 ounces) reduced-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked or canned black-eyed peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onions, celery and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the potato, turnips and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, corn, steak sauce, chili sauce, molasses, vinegar, cornstarch and hot pepper sauce. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the stew is thick and the vegetables are tender.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 12:06 pm.
Source: The Healthy Cook
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.