Cheese Enchiladas in Green Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and well drained
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (may use skim/lowfat)
- 1 1/2 cups "chicken" broth - may be made with vegetarian "chicken style" bouillon/seasoning
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup sour cream (may be lowfat)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack/Colby or Mexican blend (may use reduced fat), divided use
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream (may use lowfat or fat-free)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat; blend in flour and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and "chicken" broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat; cool to warm.
- In blender or food processor, combine cooled cooked mixture and all remaining sauce ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Return to saucepan; warm over low heat, but do not boil.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix 2 3/4 cups cheese (reserve remaining 1/4 cup for topping), onion, sour cream, and cilantro, if using. Dip a tortilla into heated
green sauce. Spoon about 1/4 cup cheese mixture onto tortilla; roll around filling. Arrange filled tortillas, edges down, side by side in 12 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, smoothing sauce to completely cover enchiladas. Sprinkle with reserved Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until bubbly hot. If desired, garnish with dollops of sour cream and a lime or avocado wedge.
Posted by LuAnn at recipegoldmine.com.
Source: Loosely adapted from Savor the Flavor: A Collection of Vegetarian Recipes, Niles Westside
Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.