Cheese and Nut Loaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups COOKED brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan, line bottom with parchment paper, and butter again; set aside.
- Place dried porcini in a small bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let soak 20 minutes; drain, finely chop, and set aside.
- Toast walnuts and cashews on a baking sheet until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Finely chop with a sharp knife, or in the bowl of a food processor, set aside.
- Increase oven heat to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and the reserved porcini; cook, stirring constantly, until all the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in rice, the toasted nuts, parsley, marjoram, thyme, sage, eggs, Gruyere, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour.
- Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then invert loaf, and remove from pan. Serve hot or warm, garnished with sage leaves.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 2/10/2002 11:59 am.