Chile and Cheese Enchiladas
My kids were vegetarians for years, and these are easy and delicious for even
meat eating people!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 envelope (2 tablespoons) dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions,
- 2 (10 ounce) or 1 (19 ounce) can red enchilada sauce(or use
Chile Sauce recipe below)
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 dry hot red chiles (New Mexican style)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Enchiladas: In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, cottage cheese, chilies,
onions, and onion soup mix. Blend well and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada
sauce over the bottom of a lightly greased 7 x 11-inch baking dish, and set
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels (damp) and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute,
or until tortillas are softened. Do not overheat. To assemble enchiladas, place
3 tablespoons of the sour cream mixture down the center of the tortilla and
sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Roll to enclose, and arrange seam
side down in sauce in casserole dish. Pour remaining sauce over all. Cover loosely
with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes rotating dish 1/4 turn
after 5 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and let stand covered
for 5 minutes.
- Chili Sauce: Boil chiles until soft with 2 or 3 cups water about 10 minutes
or until chiles are soft. Put cooked chiles in blender with about 1 cup of the
liquid and blend until smooth. Strain out seeds at this point if desired.
- In a preheated cast iron skillet on medium heat, brown the flour. Keep stirring
with a wooden spoon until fairly brown. Add blended chili sauce to skillet stirring
until mixed well and add tomato sauce and salt. If you want more sauce add more
water from the cooked chilies and continue to cook until desired consistency.
Use to top enchiladas or any dish you wish.
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine May 15, 2001.