Chile and Cheese Enchiladas
My kids were vegetarians for years, and these are easy and delicious for even meat eating people!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 envelope (2 tablespoons) dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, including tops
- 2 (10 ounce) or 1 (19 ounce) can red enchilada sauce(or use Chile Sauce recipe below)
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 dry hot red chiles (New Mexican style)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Enchiladas: In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, cottage cheese, chiles, onions, and onion soup mix. Blend well and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of a lightly greased 7 x 11-inch baking dish, and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in paper towels (damp) and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, or until tortillas are softened. Do not overheat. To assemble enchiladas, place 3 tablespoons of the sour cream mixture down the center of the tortilla and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Roll to enclose, and arrange seam side down in sauce in casserole dish. Pour remaining sauce over all. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes rotating dish 1/4 turn after 5 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
- Chili Sauce: Boil chiles until soft with 2 or 3 cups water about 10 minutes
or until chiles are soft. Put cooked chiles in blender with about 1 cup of the liquid and blend until smooth. Strain out seeds at this point if desired.
- In a preheated cast iron skillet on medium heat, brown the flour. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until fairly brown. Add blended chili sauce to skillet stirring until mixed well and add tomato sauce and salt. If you want more sauce add more water from the cooked chiles and continue to cook until desired consistency. Use to top enchiladas or any dish you wish.
Posted by swm56 at Recipe Goldmine May 15, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.