- 8 green poblano chiles
- 1 pound Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- Chiles rellenos sauce
- Wash and dry green chiles. Dry them well. Place chiles in hot oil in skillet and allow to fry about 1 to 2 minutes until a light brown color. You will see them blister as they cook. Fry on both sides and remove from oil. Peel under
cold running water, trying to keep the stems on. Cut a slit on one side of each chile and remove seeds carefully so that peppers don't tear.
- Cut cheese sticks about 4 inches long to push through the slits. Stuff each chile with one cheese stick, dry with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roll in flour. Set aside and prepare egg mixture.
- Beat egg whites in a medium-size bowl until stiff, like meringue. Add beaten egg yolks, folding and mixing lightly so as not to disturb the lightness of egg whites. Season egg mixture very lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat about 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet. Dip each floured chile in the egg mixture until well covered and fry in hot oil as you would fritters, turning once. They should be a light golden color.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.