Creamy Peanut Butter Soup
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half or skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 dashes red pepper sauce
- Salt, cayenne and black pepper, to taste
- Green onions, thinly sliced, as garnish
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
Saute onion, carrot, celery, leek and garlic 5 minutes. Add stock and beans
and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender,
10 to 15 minutes.
- Process soup and peanut butter in food processor or blender until smooth.
Return soup to saucepan; stir in half-and-half and curry powder.
- Heat over medium heat until hot. Season to taste with lemon juice, red pepper
sauce, salt, cayenne and black pepper.
- Pour soup into bowls; sprinkle with green onions.
Yield: 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 11/24/2001 11:09 am.