Create-Your-Own Veggie Burgers
- 2 cups dried textured vegetable protein (TVP) granules (not chunks; available at health food stores)
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- Place textured vegetable protein in a bowl, add water, and let soak for
- Add onion, garlic and all seasonings to textured vegetable protein and mix
together. Add flour and mix well. Shape into burgers.
- Heat oil in a skillet until very hot and pan-fry burgers until golden brown
on each side, about 10 minutes total.
Substitute 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce for ketchup.
Add one-fourth cup sunflower seeds.
Add 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil and 3 tablespoons
Add 1 or 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard.
Substitute salsa for ketchup and add 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce.
Shape the mixture into balls instead of patties and cook as directed above.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 1/23/2002 12:02 pm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.