Flamed Cheese (Queso Flameado)
- 8 ounces asadero or Monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 ounces panela
cheese, or additional asadero or Monterey jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 or 2
fresh serranos, chopped
- 1 pound cooked chorizo (optional)
- Flour or corn tortillas,
- 1 or 2 favorite salsas
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a shallow baking dish in the oven to warm for about 5 minutes.
the heated dish from the oven.
- Sprinkle the cheeses evenly in the dish, then
top it with the chile and chorizo.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for about
10 minutes, until the cheese is melted through and bubbly.
- Serve immediately, accompanied with tortillas and salsa.
Alternately, you may cook the dish over a single layer of charcoal coals
after the coals have died down to the point that they are covered in gray and
Omit chiles and chorizo, and top the cheeses with toasted sesame seeds.
Omit chiles and chorizo, and drizzle adobo sauce from canned chipotles over the