Grilled Pizza on Portobello Crust
- 2 roasted red, yellow or green bell peppers*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- Salt to taste
- 6 medium portobello mushroom caps, about 4 inches in diameter
- 3/4 cup any flavor Grilling Sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese, such as Monterey jack or mozzarella
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
* or a combination of them; you can use roasted peppers purchased from the deli
case or bottled roasted peppers if you wish
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Cut the roasted peppers into 1/4-inch wide strips; cut the strips in half.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet until hot. Add the onion slices and sauté
until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and oregano; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the pepper strips and remove from the heat. Season with salt.
- Heat a gas grill to medium or prepare a charcoal fire, letting coals burn
until covered with gray ash and medium-hot.
- Remove the stems from the mushroom caps and reserve for another use. Wipe
the mushroom caps clean with a damp towel. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the
sauce on the underside of the caps. Distribute some of the roasted pepper mixture
over the sauce. Place on the grill then cover the grill and cook until mushroom
cap is golden and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the caps with the cheese; re-cover the grill and cook until the
cheese is melted, usually 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with the cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings
Variation: You can substitute 6 small Boboli pizza crusts for the mushroom caps.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 9:45:58am 9/16/03.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meatless Recipes