Hearty Brown Vegetable Stew
This combination of vegetables and lentils, with its hearty flavor and rich brown
color, is a filling entree. If you prefer, serve a smaller portion as a side dish
to accompany an omelet, quiche or soufflé for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped parsley
- Pick over, wash and drain lentils.
- Using a large soup pot or casserole, lightly brown potatoes, onions, mushrooms
and garlic in oil. Add carrots and celery. Saute briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer about 1 hour, partly covered, adding more
water if needed during cooking. Check for doneness. If necessary, continue simmering
- Serve stew, sprinkled with parsley.
Good served with corn muffins or have a variety of bread, cheese and fruit to
complete the meal.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.