Hearty Brown Vegetable Stew
This combination of vegetables and lentils, with its hearty flavor and rich brown
color, is a filling entree. If you prefer, serve a smaller portion as a side dish
to accompany an omelet, quiche or soufflé for a vegetarian meal.
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups peeled
and chopped tomatoes
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon
- Chopped parsley
- Pick over, wash and drain lentils.
- Using a large soup pot or casserole, lightly brown potatoes, onions, mushrooms
and garlic in oil. Add carrots and celery. Saute briefly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer about 1 hour, partly covered, adding more
water if needed during cooking. Check for doneness. If necessary, continue simmering
- Serve stew, sprinkled with parsley.
Good served with corn muffins or have a variety of bread, cheese and fruit to
complete the meal.