- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups cream-style cottage cheese, drained
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese, torn
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Snipped parsley (optional)
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Stir in carrots, celery, green pepper and onion. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add zucchini, undrained tomatoes and tomato paste; mix well. Add bay leaves, garlic, parsley and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes; remove cover and continue simmering 10 to 15 minutes more or until thickened to desired consistency.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms; cook 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; discard bay leaves.
- In a 13 x 9-inch baking pan layer one-third of the noodles, vegetable sauce, cottage cheese and mozzarella. Repeat twice, ending with mozzarella. Sprinkle Parmesan over all. Cover with foil; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes; remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes more or until cheese is golden.
- Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with snipped parsley.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.