Meatless Soy Taco Filling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (12 ounce) package refrigerated or frozen soy crumbles
- 2 cups prepared salsa
- Dash Tabasco sauce or hot sauce, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and green
pepper and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano and chili powder; sauté until fragrant.
- Add cilantro, soy crumbles and salsa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.
- Serve in taco shells or soft flour tortillas and add your favorite toppings,
such as shredded lettuce, cheese, chopped tomatoes and sour cream.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving, without taco/tortilla shell: 275 calories,
17 grams protein, 10 grams fat, 26 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fiber, 0 cholesterol,
756 milligrams sodium