Mexican Lentil Casserole
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery,
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a medium saucepan, combine onions, green pepper, celery and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir in lentils, cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 1 3/4-quart casserole or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well. Spoon into prepared casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 228 cal; 14 g prot; 1 g fat; 43 g carb; 605 mg sod; 0 mg chol.
Source: Lean, Luscious and Meatless by Bobbine Hinman and Millie Snyder