Mushroom Cheddar Vegetarian Burgers
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (10 mL)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped mushrooms (375 mL)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (2 mL)
- 1 (19 ounces/540 mL) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs (25 mL)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (1 mL)
- 3 ounces old Cheddar cheese, sliced (90 g)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, mushrooms
and Italian seasoning; stirring, for about 8 minutes or until mixture is just
starting to brown and liquid is evaporated. Let cool slightly.
- In bowl, mash kidney beans with fork. Add mushroom mixture, egg yolk, bread
crumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape into four 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick patties.
(Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.)
- Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook
for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sandwich patties along with lettuce in pitas.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Canadian Living
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.