Mushroom Shepherd's Pie
This healthy and more flavorful version of Shepherd’s Pie is loaded with meaty
portabella mushrooms, garlic, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and ginger, and topped
with a cauliflower, red potato, garlic mash. It's well worth a try!
For the filling
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 3 sweet (red/orange) peppers
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup Cheddar/Monterrey
cheese (or cheese of your choice)
For the topping
- 1 cauliflower head (boiled – for 30 mins)
- 4 red potatoes (boiled – for 30 mins)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the filling: Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger till onion caramelizes
(about 30 minutes over a low/medium flame – it takes a while, but the flavor
combined with the mushrooms is well worth the time). Add the mushrooms and saute
about 5 more minutes. Then add the peppers, celery, carrot, canned tomatoes
and salt and pepper. Layer this in a baking glass/Pyrex dish. Layer the cheese
on top of the mushrooms/veggies layer.
- For the topping: Pulse the boiled cauliflower, potatoes, garlic and coconut
milk in a blender or food processor. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then layer
this on top of the cheese and mushrooms and veggies.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with a side salad.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe courtesy Shashi of Runnin Srikankan and Recipe Redux.
Recipe used with permission from
the Mushroom Council.