A delicate pastry crust encases an onion, portabella mushroom and spinach filling.
- 6 portabella mushrooms, stalks trimmed and cleaned
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- 4 sprigs
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and place a large frying pan over a medium
heat and add the olive oil. When the pan has come up to heat add the onion and
reduce heat to low. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 to 20 minutes,
stirring occasionally. When caramelized, remove the onions from the pan and
- Return the pan to the heat and add the baby spinach and cook until wilted.
Remove from the baby spinach from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat again and increase heat to medium. Add the butter
and when the butter has melted and started to froth add the mushrooms, top side
down, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a 5 minutes or until golden,
before turning over. Once both sides have been browned remove from the heat
and brush both sides of the mushrooms with the Dijon mustard.
- Place a sheet of baking paper on the baking tray and then place the puff
pastry sheet on top. Spread the caramelized onions over the middle third of
the pastry, making sure to leave 1 to 2cm at the edges. Top with half the baby
spinach and then the mushrooms. Top the mushrooms with the remaining baby spinach.
- Very carefully roll the pastry over the top of the mushroom mixture until
you have a log. Tuck the edges under the pastry, ensuring the seam is facing
- Cut 2 holes in the middle of the pastry to allow steam to escape and very
lightly coat with the egg wash. Then place the pastry in the freezer for 10
minutes before repeating with another layer of egg wash and freezing the pastry
for 10 minutes.
- Place the pastry back on the baking sheet and tray and place in the oven
for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden.
Yield: 3-4 servings
Recipe used with permission from
the Mushroom Council and Le Delicieux.