This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Quinoa-Stuffed Poblano Chiles
- 4 poblano (5-inch) chiles
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin seed kernels
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut chiles in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Set aside.
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat,
and simmer 13 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high
heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; sauté
- Add pumpkin seed kernels; sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir
in quinoa, green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, and lime juice.
- Spoon 1/3 cup quinoa mixture into each chile half.
- Pour tomato juice into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; place stuffed chiles in dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over chiles; bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or
until cheese melts and chiles are thoroughly heated.
- Spoon tomato juice over chiles.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed chile halves).
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 2/18/2002 11:11 am.