This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Roasted Peppers and Mushrooms
on Cornmeal Cakes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 each large red, yellow and orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cornmeal Cakes: Several hours or day before serving, grease an 11 x 7-inch
baking dish with cooking spray. Place cornmeal in medium bowl; gradually whisk
in 2 cups of the water.
- In large, deep saucepan, heat remaining 3 1/2 cups water and the salt to
boiling; over low heat, whisk in cornmeal mixture. Whisk until cornmeal is smooth.
Simmer for 30 minutes or until cornmeal thickens and pulls away from pan sides
when stirred, stirring every 5 minutes. Spread evenly in prepared dish; cool.
Place plastic wrap directly on surface; chill.
- Vegetables: Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In custard cup, microwave oil and garlic on HIGH for 1 minute or until hot;
in bowl, toss 2 teaspoons oil mixture with peppers. Place on jellyroll pan.
In same bowl, toss mushrooms with remaining oil mixture; toss with peppers.
Roast vegetables for 40 minutes or until tender and brown, adding thyme after
20 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- At serving time, turn out cornmeal onto cutting board; cut in half crosswise.
Quarter crosswise to make 8 squares. Halve squares diagonally.
- In large, nonstick skillet, in 2 batches, in butter, brown cornmeal triangles
on both sides. Remove to large platter; keep warm. Top with pepper mixture.
Yield: 16 servings