Rolled Stuffed Eggplant
"Eggplant is a star vegetable in Israel. When meat was scarce and expensive,
eggplant was easily grown and used often. It is a main ingredient in many
vegetarian recipes, from dips to soups and salads. Usually flame broiled, it is
currently very fashionable to feature eggplant as roasted, stuffed, fried, or
pureed, and its meaty texture and distinct flavor make it one of the most
versatile Jewish vegetables. This lactose free recipe is my take on a Jewish
Lasagna, a much lighter and healthier version of the traditional Italian dish."
- 2 medium eggplants
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for oiling baking sheets and dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups cooked rice, preferably Basmati
- 4 ounces Cabot Muenster or Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup), plus more for top (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup grated spiced "firm baked" tofu*
- 1/3 cup crumbled kosher Italian tofu sausage, such as Tofurky*
- Ground black pepper to taste
* You can substitute plain "firm baked" tofu, adding 2 finely chopped sun
dried tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon dried
oregano to cheese mixture. *Instead of Italian tofu sausage you can use an
additional 1/3 cup spiced firm baked tofu.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim eggplant stem ends, then cut eggplants lengthwise into thin slices
(there should be about 8 slices per eggplant). Generously sprinkle both sides of slices with salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and cook,
stirring, until translucent; add garlic and cook until just beginning to color, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in rice, 1 cup cheddar, tomatoes, carrots, tofu and sausage, mixing
thoroughly. Taste mixture and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Set aside.
- Oil lightly 2 large baking sheets. Blot moisture from eggplant slices
with paper towels and arrange in single layer on baking sheets. Bake for
about 10 minutes, turning over midway, or until soft and pliable.
- Remove eggplant from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Lightly oil 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of reserved filling on each eggplant slice and
roll up; place rolls seam-side-down in baking dish, pushing any filling that falls out back in place.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese and return to oven until
melted, about 5 minutes longer.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meatless Recipes