Sonoran-Style Red Enchiladas
- 2 cups Masa Harina
- 2 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small baking potato, cooked, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water, or more as needed
- Stir together Masa Harina, cheese, potato, baking powder and salt. Mix in
the water until dough is smooth and moist, but not sticky.
- Shape dough into
8 balls about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Between sheets of wax paper, roll
the balls into tortillas about 4 inches in diameter.
- Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil in a small skillet until the oil ripples.
Dip a tortilla into the oil and fry until light brown and crisped, but still
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, then drain them.
- Put 2 tortillas on heatproof serving plates. Spoon equal portions of warm
mild red chile sauce and queso blanco or Monterey jack cheese over the tortillas.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until the cheese melts and becomes
- Top each serving with sliced scallions, shredded lettuce which has been
tossed with a splash of vegetable oil and vinegar, and sliced green olives,
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.