Sonoran-Style Red Enchiladas
- 2 cups Masa Harina
- 2 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small baking potato, cooked, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water, or more as needed
- Stir together Masa Harina, cheese, potato, baking powder and salt. Mix in
the water until dough is smooth and moist, but not sticky.
- Shape dough into
8 balls about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Between sheets of wax paper, roll
the balls into tortillas about 4 inches in diameter.
- Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil in a small skillet until the oil ripples.
Dip a tortilla into the oil and fry until light brown and crisped, but still
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, then drain them.
- Put 2 tortillas on heatproof serving plates. Spoon equal portions of warm
mild red chile sauce and queso blanco or Monterey jack cheese over the tortillas.
- Bake for 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until the cheese melts and becomes
- Top each serving with sliced scallions, shredded lettuce which has been
tossed with a splash of vegetable oil and vinegar, and sliced green olives,