- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked pepper
- 2 or 3 eggplants sliced lengthwise into 12 (1/2-inch) thick slices
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten in flat dish large enough to dip eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup scallion, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, seeded
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Mix together bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip each slice of eggplant into
egg and then dredge in bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip each slice of eggplant
into egg and then dredge in bread crumbs to coat. Set aside on wax paper.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add garlic. Sauté
garlic until it begins to brown. Fry eggplant slices in batches until browned
on both sides, very pliable and somewhat soft, about 6 minutes on each side.
Remove to wax paper.
- Combine all filling ingredients and beat with a fork for about 1 minute
to fluff. Place a dollop of the filling on the bottom of each slice of eggplant
and roll up each piece. Wooden wooden picks may be used to fasten, but with
a little care and the aid of a flat spatula this can be avoided. Arrange rolls
on baking dish.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and stir
about 5 minutes or until onion is soft and starts to turn golden. Reduce heat
to medium and stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano and tomato. Return heat to
medium-high and slowly stir in wine. Reduce heat to medium when mixture begins
to bubble and sprinkle sugar on top. Stir to mix and remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over eggplant and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place
in oven on highest setting until cheese bubbles and begins to brown, about 7
- Serve immediately.