Stuffed Sweet Peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce)
can vegetable broth
- 4 medium green bell peppers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in pureé
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed
red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/3 cup dried
currants or raisins
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir
rice, onion and parsley 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown. Stir
in cinnamon, pepper and salt. Gradually add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed
and rice is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook green pepper halves in boiling water 5 to 7 minutes or until
peppers are crisp-tender; drain.
- Combine tomatoes, honey, and crushed red pepper in 13 x 9-inch baking pan;
mix well. Remove 1/4 cup sauce; set aside.
- Arrange pepper halves on sauce in baking pan.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat; stir in garbanzo beans, dried currants
and reserved 1/4 cup sauce.
- Divide rice evenly among pepper halves in baking pan. Cover pan tightly
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo credit: National Honey Board.