Tex-Mex Veggie Burgers
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained,1/2 cup liquid reserved
cup plus 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely
chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 cup cooked white
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 teaspoons diced jalapeno chili
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
no-lard (9- to 10-inch) flour tortillas (99% fat-free)
- 8 tablespoons light sour
- 8 tablespoons purchased salsa
- Blend 1/2 cup corn kernels and 1 tablespoon cornmeal in processor until
moist clumps form. Add 3/4 cup corn kernels; process 10 seconds (reserve remaining
corn for another use). Transfer corn mixture to heavy medium nonstick saucepan.
Add 1/2 cup corn liquid, onion, bell pepper and lime peel. Cover and cook over
very low heat until thick and firm, stirring often, 12 minutes.
- Mix in rice, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and cumin. Drop 1/4 of mixture onto
each of 4 pieces of foil; press pieces into 3/4-inch thick patties. Let stand
until completely cool.
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Spray both sides of burgers with nonstick
spray; grill until crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Grill tortillas until pliable, about 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer tortillas to plates. On each tortilla place 1 burger, 1/4 of sour
cream and 1/4 of salsa. Fold tortillas over to enclose.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Bon Appetit - July 1997