This hearty casserole makes an excellent antioxidant-packed side dish or a vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce)
can no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and thyme
and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, heat oil.
- Add eggplant. Cook until softened,
10 to 12 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat; add all ingredients except cheese.
- Transfer mixture to
a shallow casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly and brown.
Per serving: 123 calories, 12g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 7g fat (2g saturated),
7mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 617mg sodium