Vegetable Burritos with Avocado Sauce
Excellent buffet fare, these burritos are filling enough for a luncheon or a
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 (6 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 6 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 large flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 16 avocado slices
- Burritos: In large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and
onion. Sauté until golden.
- Add water chestnuts and stir-fry until warm.
- Add zucchini and heat thoroughly.
- Add mushrooms and sauté briefly.
- Sprinkle with celery salt. Add tomatoes. stir to heat through. DO NOT OVERCOOK —
vegetables should remain firm.
- Remove from heat. Season to taste.
- Warm tortillas, one at a time, in an ungreased skillet over medium heat,
turning frequently, until softened. (If tortillas are soft to begin with, this
step is unnecessary.) Place 2 heaping tablespoons cheese and 2 tablespoons vegetable
mixture down the center of the tortilla. Roll up and transfer to a 13 x 9-inch
baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Two baking dishes will be needed.
Cover dishes to prevent drying out.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Avocado Sauce: Mix together chopped avocados, sour cream or yogurt and lemon
juice. Spoon sauce down center of baked burritos. Place an avocado slice across
the top of each burrito.
- Serve immediately with remaining Avocado Sauce.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meatless Recipes