Vegetarian Chiles Rellenos
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds red potatoes (about 6), finely chopped
- 8 carrots, finely
- 2 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 small roasted poblano
chiles, peeled, deveined
- 1 (8 ounce) package KRAFT Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions; cook 5 minutes
or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add
water, potatoes and carrots; cover. Cook 10 minutes; stir in zucchini. Cook,
covered, 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings; simmer 3 minutes.
- Spoon into chiles; place in shallow baking dish. Cover.
- Bakefor 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese; bake; uncovered, 5 minutes or until melted.
prep: 45 min | total: 1 hr 5 min | 10 servings
Make ahead: Stuff chiles as directed. (Do not bake.) Refrigerate up to 24 hours.
When ready to serve, bake, covered, 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with
cheese; continue as directed.
How to roast poblano chiles: Place chiles on rack of broiler pan. Broil until
skins are charred or covered with black blisters, turning occasionally. Place in
glass bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove peppers from bowl;
carefully remove peels, being careful not to break the skins. Use small knife to
make a vertical cut in side of each pepper. Remove small cluster of seeds attached
to base; then discard. Stuff peppers as directed.
Reprinted with permission from