Vegetarian Chili with Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper,
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 56 ounces canned Italian plum tomatoes with
- 12 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped
- 1 cup farmer cheese or ricotta cheese
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, zucchini, bell peppers
and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 15 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, parsley, cilantro, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring,
for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and sugar; simmer 10 minutes.
Add beans; simmer 10 minutes more.
- Dumplings: In medium bowl, mix cornmeal and water. Add flour, salt, cilantro
and cheese. Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Add dumplings to stew, stirring
gently to submerge. Simmer until dumplings are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 225 cal; 8g prot; 8g total fat (2g sat. fat); 29g carb; 8mg
chol; 826mg sod.; 5g fiber.