- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups carrots, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, minced
- 3/4 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, toasted or dry-roasted
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- The day before serving: Bring 4 cups water to a simmer in a large saucepan.
Add lentils, cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add barley, cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add brown rice, cover; simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and
rice is cooked.
- In medium pan, saute carrots, onion and celery in olive oil until tender,
about 10 minutes. Add sunflower seeds, oregano, salt, pepper, thyme, basil and
garlic, and saute 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Combine grains and vegetables in large covered container, refrigerate overnight.
- The day of serving: Add eggs and flour to grain mixture, mix wells. Form
balls 3 to 4 inches in diameter, and flatten into patties 3/4 inch thick. Fry
patties in vegetable oil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes each side.
Yield: 10 burgers
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.