Chili Loaf 2
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup hot salsa
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 6 strips bacon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place beef and Italian sausage in a large bowl and break into clumps.
Gently mix in remaining ingredients, except the bacon, until just
combined. Do not over-mix.
- Turn the meat mixture into a 9 x 5-inch
loaf pan. Lay bacon strips crosswise over the loaf and bake for
- Cover the loaf loosely with aluminum foil and let it
rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.