Chinese Sweet and Sour Meatloaf
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons FINELY minced ginger
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon regular mustard
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork (approximation)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or any dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix all sauce ingredients thoroughly. Set aside to allow flavors
- Next, combine all meat loaf ingredients except cornstarch. Take
1 cup of sauce AND mix it into meat. Follow this step with evenly
sprinkling cornstarch over meat and thoroughly mixing it in.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place meat in loaf pan and pack it down. Bake covered with foil
for about 30 minutes. During last 10 minutes of initial 30-minute
baking cycle, remove meat loaf from oven, drain fat and slice into
several serving-size slices. Pour about 1/2 cup of sauce over meat,
making sure some of sauce runs down into cracks.
- Bake uncovered for about 15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, if you want, you can heat and thicken leftover sauce
with about 1 teaspoon cornstarch and an equal amount of water. As
sauce starts to thicken, you can add about 2 teaspoons hot oil to
- Drain fat, slice meatloaf and pour sauce over it.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so leftover heated sauce can be
spooned over individual meatloaf servings if desired.
If you want a browner meatloaf, bake covered for about 20
minutes and uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.