This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Crazy Meat Loaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Cook mixed vegetables for 5 minutes in boiling salted water; drain.
- Melt butter in skillet; add onion and cook until tender but not
brown. Add bread crumbs, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, thyme and 1/4
teaspoon Tabasco sauce.
- Combine egg, milk, remaining salt, basil and remaining Tabasco sauce
a in mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of bread crumb mixture to egg mixture;
mix well. Gently blend ground chuck into bread crumb-egg mixture.
Handle as little as possible for more tender meat. Gently press
all but 2 cups of meat mixture over bottom and three-fourths up
the sides of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, leaving center hollow.
- Combine remaining bread crumb mixture with mixed vegetables and
grated cheese; turn into hollow space in loaf pan. Cover with remaining
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto serving platter.
Serve with cheese sauce, if desired.