Meat Loaf with Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze
If you like, you can omit the bacon topping from the loaf. In this
case, brush on half of the glaze before baking and the other half
during the last 15 minutes of baking.
Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk or plain yogurt
- 2 pounds meat loaf mix (50% ground chuck, 25% ground pork, 25% ground veal)
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 16) or quick oatmeal or 11/3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 6–8 ounces thin-sliced bacon (8 to 12 slices, depending on loaf shape)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Brown Sugar-Ketchup Glaze: Mix all ingredients in small saucepan; set aside.
- Meat Loaf: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in medium
skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce,
pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in large
bowl along with crackers, parsley, and cooked onion and garlic;
mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick
to bowl. (If mixture sticks, add additional milk or yogurt, a couple
tablespoons at a time, until mix no longer sticks.)
- Turn meat mixture onto work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture
into approximately 9 x 5-inch loaf shape. Place on foil-lined (for
easy cleanup) shallow baking pan. Brush with half the glaze, then
arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping slightly
and tucking only bacon tip ends under loaf.
- Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and internal temperature of loaf
registers 160 degrees F, about 1 hour.
- Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until thickened slightly.
- Slice meat loaf and serve with extra glaze passed separately.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by JudyAZ at Recipe Goldmine May 31, 2001.
Source: This is from Cook's Illustrated and is our very favorite.
The glaze makes the meat loaf.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Meat Loaf Recipes