Meat Loaf in a Pumpkin
- 1 (6- or 7-inch diameter) pumpkin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Cut top from pumpkin; remove seeds. Place pumpkin in baking pan;
add about 1-inch hot water. Cover pumpkin and pan with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes until almost tender.
- Pour off water,
season inside of pumpkin with salt and pepper; spread with about
1 tablespoon mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Combine egg, 2 tablespoons mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon
salt, ground beef and bread crumbs; mix well. Spoon into pumpkin,
packing down lightly.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 45 to
60 minutes, until pumpkin is tender and meat loaf is cooked.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Yield: 6 servings