Meat Loaf Stroganoff
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup mushrooms, stems closely trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sherry or dry red wine
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms briefly in butter until the mushrooms
release their liquid.
- Add sherry or wine and continue cooking a
few minutes more, until the mushrooms reabsorb the liquid. Cool.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add the beef, bread crumbs, parsley,
sour cream and nutmeg; mix well. Add the onion-mushroom mixture
- Place the mixture in an oiled or buttered 9 x 5 x 3-inch
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until firm and browned.
Serves 6 to 8.