Mexicali Meat Loaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or meatloaf mix (veal, beef and pork)
- 1 cup picante sauce or salsa, divided use
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Wisconsin Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided use
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and
garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5
- Add meat, 3/4 cups of the picante sauce, tortilla chips, egg, cumin and salt
to bowl with vegetables. Mix well. Press half of mixture into a 9 x 5 inch loaf
pan. Make a shallow well down center of meat. Press 1 1/2 cups of the cheese in
the well; top with remaining meat mixture, pressing into a compact loaf. (Loaf pan
will be full.)
- Brush remaining 1/4 cup picante sauce over top of loaf.
- Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until internal temperature
of meat reaches 160 degrees F.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and, if desired, cilantro over loaf; let stand
for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Pour off and discard pan drippings. Transfer meatloaf to a carving board. Cut
into 8 slices.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin