Mushroom Meatloaf with
A great variation on an old standby!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup diced red, yellow or green bell pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons butter over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are
tender. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt, 3/4 teaspoon thyme,
pepper and mushroom mixture; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- On rack in broiler pan, shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-inch loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 1 1/4 hours to medium doneness (160 degrees
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy. In medium saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon butter over medium
heat until hot. Add bell pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add gravy and thyme; heat through.
- Carve meatloaf into slices.
- Serve with gravy.
Recipe and photo credit: Texas Beef Council