This is excellent hot or cold.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup thick applesauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds sausage meat
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
and line the bottom with greased wax paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with seasonings and mustard. Stir in
bread crumbs, applesauce and onion. Add half the sausage meat and
work with your hands or a fork until evenly mixed. Work in remaining
meat and firmly press into pan with palm of your hand
- Lay a sheet
of foil over top and bake in center of oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and drain fat. Continue baking, uncovered, for 45 minutes
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes before turning out.