Sloppy Joe Loaf
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Pillsbury BEST All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (11 ounce) can Pillsbury Refrigerated Crusty French Loaf
- 4 ounce (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray cookie sheet and large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
In sprayed skillet, combine ground beef and onion; cook until beef
is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Add tomato sauce, flour, basil, oregano and fennel seed; mix well.
Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, remove dough from can; place on lightly floured surface.
Cut loaf in half lengthwise. Roll each half to form 16 x 4-inch
rectangle. Place 1 dough rectangle on sprayed cookie sheet, being
careful not to change shape.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese into ground beef mixture. Spoon and spread
mixture over dough rectangle on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with remaining
1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining dough rectangle.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut into slices.
A Pillsbury Bake-Off recipe - Helena Crutcher, Hazel Green, Alabama
- 40th Bake-Off Contest, 2002