Tofu and Mushroom Loaf
- 1 (3 ounce can sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package Japanese-style tofu
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- Soy-Mushroom Sauce: Combine mushrooms, cornstarch, brown sugar and soy sauce
in saucepan. Cook, stirring until mixture comes to boil and is thickened.
- Loaf: Mix all ingredients except Soy-Mushroom Sauce in bowl. Form into
dome-shaped loaf in 8- or 9-inch pie plate. Spoon a little Soy-Mushroom
Sauce over loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F 1 hour, glazing loaf with
a little additional Soy-Mushroom Sauce after 1/2 hour.
- Transfer baked loaf to serving plate. Pour remaining Soy-Mushroom Sauce over
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Yield: 4 servings