Chicken Fried Bacon with Cream Gravy
Chicken Fried Bacon with Cream Gravy is great as an appetizer, for breakfast or as a side dish!
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart (4 cups) buttermilk
- 2 pounds bacon
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons drippings or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
- salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt
and pepper. Place half of this mixture in a large, flat baking
- Pour half of the buttermilk in a separate large baking dish.
- Dip each bacon strip first in the buttermilk, then in the
seasoned flour. Set the bacon aside on a rack for a few minutes
to allow the flour to absorb some of the buttermilk to form a
good coating. For an extra crispy coating, dredge the bacon once
more in just the flour mixture.
- Heat about 1 1/4 inches of vegetable oil in a large frying pan (or in a
deep fryer) until a thermometer inserted reads 350 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon, a few strips at a time (don't crowd
the pan or fryer), until the strips are golden brown on both
sides, about 2 minutes per side. Drain the bacon on a rack.
Continue until all of the bacon is fried.
- Allow the bacon to cool for a few minutes, then serve with the Cream Gravy.
- Cream Gravy: Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for
2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add
milk whisking constantly; return to heat and whisk until the
gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt and pepper.